Friday, February 6, 2015

Opening Statements

Opening statements can make or break your document. It's like reading the back of a book to find out if your even interested. Not only should the opening statement appeal to the reader, but it should also be the foundation for the thesis behind the paper. The reader should know what the main point in your document is after reading your thesis or opening statement. In my experience, after reading the entire document, I sometimes revisit the opening statement and even the document title to see if it was spot on. Deciding on your thesis is not an easy task. It shouldn't be to brief or to long. The main point in my groups police violence document is to inform the reader that childhood violent video games and drug and alcohol abuse lead to violence, including police violence. Can adolescence violent escalate to police violence as an adult?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica. In the intro to my group paper I started off by creating a scenario to draw the reader in. I hope that it served it purpose and intrigued readers to continue reading. I also hope it shaped my thesis or main point the way I wanted to convey it. I also agree that if the blurb of a book doesn't grab my attention, I won't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the back of a book to find out if you're interested is a great relation to make when talking about introductions. Both really are a big determining factor into whether or not you're going to enjoy what's being said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well I do agree about if the back of the book introduction is making the audience happy so they can read it. good point of view.

    ReplyDelete