As most of the class has discovered, the majority is seeking a career in the medical field. I plan on writing my document #2 on a question that I get often, is an associates degree in nursing becoming obsolete? It seems that all colleges and univeristies are no longer offering associates in nursing and are only offering bachelors of science in nursing. There are the occasional programs that help existing R.N.'s pursue their B.S.N, but for the most part, the nursing field has gravated to a strict 4 year bachelor program. I think this shift in degree requirements is a great decision and even opportunity for existing nurses. Not only will it benefit the patients, but it will also benefit our society. With the rise in education, comes a rise in supply and demand. The down side is that few L.P.N's and R.N.'s will be able to continue their education due to finances or age. They may become discouraged when they hear that they will be required to continue their education in order to keep their job. I plan on researching the importance of having a bachelors degree and why an associates degree is no longer enough.
JB
Hey Jessica. I think that is a great topic to research and talk about. I actually had a friend of mine ask me that question last night. I didn't have an answer for her so hopefully if you pursue this topic and share with the class I may have something to tell her next time.
ReplyDeletegreat topic to talk and research about it will be of everyone interest to hear about this.
ReplyDeleteMy friend is a nurse, and because of her job, they were able to send her to get her bachelor's degree. Nowadays it is as easy as it use to be to get a job, right out of school with an associates degree. I find it ridculous, but all part of the health field
ReplyDeletei think a B.S.N will help provide better care for patients but current nurses who do not have there B.S.N should be grandfathered in considering all the expierence they have
ReplyDelete